We love St Patrick's Day around here!
We love reading the stories of St. Patrick and remembering that God calls every believer, like Patrick, to share the Good News of the Gospel with all people, even those who persecute us.
While our boys have great gobs of Irish blood pumping through their veins, they are as American as American can be. So every year I make our Traditional Irish Fare with an American Twist! Here's my menu...
Glazed Corned Beef
- Boil Brisket for 2 - 2 1/2 hours
- Mix 1 cup honey
1 1/2 tsp. mustard powder
1/2 tsp. allspice
- Place brisket in oven pan and coat with glaze
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, basting as it cooks.
1 lb. cooked carrots
1/3 cup sugar
3 TBS. flour
1 tsp. vanilla
1 stick melted butter
(Reserve for topping)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
3 TBS brown sugar
2 tsp soft butter
- Place carrots and eggs in blender first. Add the rest of the ingredients in order.
- Pour into 1 1/2 quart souffle dish or pan.
- Bake at 350 degree for 40 minutes
- Mix together topping ingredients and spread over the top of baked souffle
- Bake 10 minutes more.
Potato and Leek O'Gratin
3 leek stalks, thinly sliced to the green
1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
2 TBS. olive oil
1 TBS. unsalted butter
2 lb.. russet potatoes
2 cups + 2 TBS heavy cream
2 1/2 Irish white cheddar or Gruyere cheese (I'm using Dubliners this year from Costco)
1 tsp. fresh salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350
- Butter inside f a 10x13 baking dish
- Saute Leeks and sweet onion in olive oil and butter until translucent
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes
- Mix in a large bowl with 2 cups heavy cream, 2 cups cheese, salt / pepper
- Mix in the onion mixture and press down into baking dish
- Combine remaining 2 TBS cream and 1/2 cup cheese and sprinkle on top
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours, until potatoes are tender and top is brown and bubbly
- Allow to set for 10 minutes before serving.
Christ be with me
Christ before me
Christ behind me
Christ in me
Christ beneath me
Christ above me
Christ on my right
Christ on my left
Christ where I lie
Christ where I sit
Christ where I arise
Christ in the heart of every man
who thinks of me
Christ in the mouth of every man
who speaks of me
Christ in every eye that sees me
Christ in every ear that hears me
Salvation is of the Lord.
(From Saint Patrick's Breastplate)